Walking Foot Quilt Along - Part 1
Hello. Thank you for visiting. I hope you're here because you want to quilt along with me.
The first thing you need to do is make a quilt top. I chose very simple patchwork so you could put it together quickly and we can get to the quilting.
- Go through your stash and cut out 36 3" squares of fabric in your colour choice. The feature of this little quilt will be the quilting so choose solids, or tone on tones that will allow the stitching to show.
- Lay out your 36 squares configured 6 x 6 till you are happy with the layout then stitch them together.
- Cut two 3" strips of fabric x WOF. Add a border all the way around the quilt.
- Pick a thread colour that is a contrast to the fabric colour. I used a 30wt Sulky blendable. The heavier the thread and the more contrast in colour, the more it will show.
Here are some options for your quilt.
- Tone on tone purple fabrics which became the finished quilt you see above.
- Solid scraps sewn randomly together and cut into 3" squares then pieced again into the same sized quilt top as the purple one.
- A work in progress. I purchased a charm pack and matching border fabric from Needle Crafts & Studio. I haven't decided on the exact layout yet but the one you see here is not bad. I will have to choose a very dark thread if I want it to show on all these colours.
Variations: You can make your quilt any size you want and still quilt along with me. Using the charm pack and cutting 5" strips for the border, my finished quilt will measure 36" square. If I cut the charms into 2.5" squares and cut my border strips at 2.5" I will end up with a 16" square quilt. I could then get 4 small quilts out of one charm pack. If this matched my living room I could make them into 4 cushions.
One more thing, layer your quilt with batting and backing. I pin basted mine but use your preferred method and we'll see you back here on November 12.
Don't forget to post your progress. Use these hashtags and tag me so I see your work.
#walkingfootquiltalong #walkingfootquilting @melissamarginet
UPDATE: Part 2 - November 12
11/7/2018 03:26:11 pm
Hi, I hope to get my piece ready to start on the 12: very interested to see what we will create.
11/8/2018 10:05:46 am
Yes I’m going to follow along with this fun little projects.
Hi Melissa! My "friend" Wendy told me about this event. I put "friend" in quotes because there is no way on earth I can participate right now. However, I would love to read along and try it in the new year. Just 49 days left in this year and that will pass in a blink! Happy Monday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne
Leave a Reply.
- Quilt Maker